Duque de Bragança Promenade – São Pedro
- Gardens, Squares and Plazas
Initially, it was known as Campo do Dízimo, where maize was placed for the payment of taxes; later it became known as Campo do Relvão. In this place, on June 6, 1832, Dom Pedro IV reviewed the liberal troops who gathered in São Miguel and embarked for the military campaign of Mindelo on June 23.
In 1833, the central government proposed the local municipal government to transform it into a ‘Lameda’ (or promenade) and to name it after the Duke of Bragança in order to perpetuate the memory of his Imperial Majesty’s stop on this island. The trees symbolize the soldiers standing on parade.